Loved by God.

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
* It's good to suffer loss, for it draws me to the Cross where God's loss is more than what anyone ever lost. * We cannot hear what the stories of the Bible are saying until we hear them as stories about ourselves. * Let go of control. * Trust God. Thank God. Think about God. Talk to God. Talk about God.

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Drowning in Darkness (Psalm 69:1-36)

Desperation (Ps 69:1-4): "Save me, O God,
 for the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. I am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched. My eyes fail, looking for my God. Those who hate me without reason outnumber the hairs of my head; many are my enemies without cause, those who seek to destroy me. I am forced to restore what I did not steal."
Folly (Ps 69:5-12): "You, God, know my folly; my guilt is not hidden from you" (Ps 69:5; 51:3-4). "...for zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who insult you fall on me" (Ps 69:9).
The cry
 (Ps 69:13-18)"But I pray to you, Lord, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation. Rescue me from the mire, do not let me sink; deliver me from those who hate me, from the deep waters. Do not let the floodwaters engulf me or the depths swallow me up or the pit close its mouth over me. Answer me, Lord, out of the goodness of your love; in your great mercy turn to me. Do not hide your face from your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble. Come near and rescue me; deliver me because of my foes."
Scorn and shame (19-21): "They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst" (Ps 69:21). 
The curse (22-28): "May their place be deserted; let there be no one to dwell in their tents" (Ps 69:25).
Hymn of praise (Ps 69:29-38).

Psalm 69 is the most quoted psalm in the N.T. Parts of it appear in all 4 Gospels, Romans and Acts:
  • Ps 69:4: "But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason’" (Jn 15:25).
  • Ps 69:9a: His disciples remembered that it is written: “Zeal for your house will consume me.” (Jn 2:17).
  • Ps 69:9b: For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me” (Rom 15:3).
  • "They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst" (Ps 69:21). Mt 27:34, 48; Mk 15:36; Lk 23:36; Jn 19:28, 29
  • Ps 69:22, 23: And David says: “May their table become a snare and a trap, a stumbling block and a retribution for them. May their eyes be darkened so they cannot see, and their backs be bent forever” (Rom 11:9, 10).
  • Ps 69:25: “For,” said Peter, “it is written in the Book of Psalms: “‘May his place be deserted; let there be no one to dwell in it,’ (Ac 1:20a).
Psalm 69 is a lament "I'm in deep trouble" psalm, and a Messianic psalm (of the Messiah, about the Messiah) written by David when he was in affliction. He confesses his sins and failings, appealing to God's mercy. He complains of his great distress and trouble and begs God for relief. The psalm is full of desperate cries for help, complaints, affirmations of trust, and a vow to praiseThis can be applied spiritually to Jesus, noting the public nature of his humiliation on the cross.
  • David suffers for no fault of his own, but for his devotion to God.
  • Whatever deep waters of affliction or temptation we sink into, perservere in prayer to God to save us.
  • God's favor to us are enough to keep our spirits from sinking from our deepest outward troubles.
  • The beauty of this psalm is that no matter how dire our situation we can trust God.

The Messianic psalms include Psalm 2, 8, 16, 22, 23, 24, 40, 41, 45, 68, 69, 87, 89, 102, 110, 118. Next to Psalm 22, Psalm 69 is the most quoted psalm in the NT: Psalm 22 deals with the death of Christ, Psalm 69 deals with the life of Christ. Psalm 69 is quoted in Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts and Romans. (There are also many references to it beyond those actual quotations.)

  1. Kidner. 1973. Persecution. A sea of troubles (1-5). The sting of insult (6-12). The cry (13-18). The cup (19-21). The curse (22-28). Praise from the heart (29-33). Praise from the host (34-36).
  2. Longman III, Garland. 2008. Zeal for Your House and God's Love for His Own. Anguish: Poor and Needy. Lament (1-28). Hymn (29-36).
  3. Keller. 2015. Hatred without reason (1-6). Misunderstood (7-12). God's timing (13-18). Unanswered prayer (19-21). Charge them with crime (22-28). Don't waste your sorrows (29-33). Use your future on the present (34-36).
  4. Motyer. Shelter Fit for a King. A1. Great need (1-4). B1. Telling God what he already knows: intervention sought (5-12). C1. Testimony of a troubled soul. Sorrows turned to prayer (13-18). B2. Telling God what he already knows: retribution sought (19-28). C2. The testimony of a troubled soul: sorrows turned to joy (29-33). A2. Great assurance (34-36).
  5. Wilson. 2002. Plea for deliverance from enemies (1-4). Folly and scorn (5-12). Renewed plea for deliverance (13-18). Continued scorn (19-21). Desire for divine judgment on the enemy (22-29). Vow to praise God's name (30-33). Concluding call to praise (34-36).
  6. Goldingay. 2013. Passion means persecution (1-18). Trust God with your anger (19-36).

No comments:

Post a Comment