Loved by God.

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
* It's good to suffer loss, for it draws me to the Cross where God's loss is more than what anyone ever lost. * We cannot hear what the stories of the Bible are saying until we hear them as stories about ourselves. * Let go of control. * Trust God. Thank God. Think about God. Talk to God. Talk about God.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

The Good Shepherd (Psalm 23 to Mark 6)

Psalm 23
Mark 6:7-52
"The Lord is my shepherd"
Mk 6:34ff: Jesus had compassion of them
"He settles me down in green pastures"
Mk 6:39: He commanded them to recline in green pastures
"He leads me in paths of righteousness"
Mk 6:34: He taught them many things
"I walk through the valley of death"
Mk 6:24-29: John was killed
"I will fear no evil"
Mk 6:50: He told them, "Have no fear, I am!"
"…your staff comforts me"
Mk 6:8: "Take nothing…except a [shepherd's] staff"
"You prepare a table before me"
Mk 6:41: Jesus prepared a banquet of life
"…in the presence of my enemies"
Mk 6:21-28: Herod, an enemy, was "watching"
"You anoint my head with oil"
Mk 6:13: The disciples "anointed many with oil"
"I shall not want"; "my cup overflows"
Mk 6:42: They were "filled" with "12 baskets full of broken pieces"
He rests me "beside still waters"
Mk 6:51: "the wind ceased and they crossed over"

The classical account of the good shepherd from Psalm 23 to Mark 6:7-52
Ps 23:1-6
Jer, Ezek, Zach
Lk 15:4-7
Lk 15:8-10
Mk 6:7-52
God is the good shepherd
God is the good shepherd
Jesus is the good shepherd
Jesus is the good woman
Jesus is the good shepherd and the new Moses
Lost sheep (no flock)
Lost flock
Lost sheep & lost flock
Lost coin
Lost flock
Incarnation implied
Incarnation promised
Incarnation realized
Incarnation realized
Incarnation realized
Price paid: bring back
Price paid: search, save, bring back
Price paid: search, find, carry back
Price paid: light lamp, sweep, search, find
Gather, order, feed, lead flock, confront Herod
Repentance is return to God (shuv)
Repentance is return to land (shuv)
Repentance is return to God (metanoea)
Repentance is return to God (metanoea)
The "flock" accepts to be found
A meal for the psalmist
__
A celebration with friends
A celebration with friends
A meal for 5,000
A good host(ess?) and a meal
__
A good host and (offered food)
A good hostel and (offered food)
Jesus produces a meal
Opponent: death and enemies
Bad shepherd
Bad shepherd loses a sheep
Careless woman loses a coin
Herod: bad shepherd and murderer
Story ends in the house
Story ends in the land
Story ends in the house
Story ends in the house
At the end, people go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment