Loved by God.

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
* It's good to suffer loss, for it draws me to the Cross where God's loss is more than what anyone ever lost. * We cannot hear what the stories of the Bible are saying until we hear them as stories about ourselves. * Let go of control. * Trust God. Thank God. Think about God. Talk to God. Talk about God.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

This Is My Life

What is my life? What is your life?

Billy Joel captures our human sentiments with his song: "I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life. Go ahead with your own life and leave me alone."

By God's grace, I would like my version to be: "I do care what you say, I always want to care, this is my life. Do live your own life and let me walk alongside you." And if you won't, maybe I'll shed a tear.

In The Greatest Showman, Keala Settle sang the Academy Award nominated song "This Is Me" (Benj Pasek, Justin Paul).These are the catchy lyrics:

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me
As a Christ follower, Jesus' words capture my soul more than any other words: "I have come so that they may have life and have it in abundance" (Jn 10:10b, HCSB). "My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life" (Jn 10:10b, NLT).

How would I define and express the basic contents of my (hopefully abundant) life?
  1. My passion (what I want to live out): Testify to grace (Ac 20:24).
  2. My foundation (the basis of what I do): The whole counsel of God (Ac 20:27; 2 Tim 3:16).
  3. My desire (what I want to do): Entrust to faithful people who can teach others (2 Tim 2:2; Mt 28:19).
  4. My hope (what I want to see): Noble people who examine the Scriptures daily (Ac 17:11; 1 Th 2:13).
What is my vision for the church?
  1. Enjoy reading the Bible (Ps 1:2; 119:97).
  2. Engage/encourage each other through studying Scripture (Heb 10:24-25).
  3. Enhance each other's lives (Jn 10:10b).
  4. Encounter God and fall in love with him (Isa 6:5; Dt 6:5; Mt 22:37; Mk 12:29-30).
How do I live out my one life?
  1. Read the Bible (2 Tim 3:16; 2 Pet 1:21; Mt 24:35; Lk 21:33; Ps 19:7).
  2. Read books (2 Tim 4:13).
  3. Read people to understand them and to be their friends (Jn 15:15; Prov 17:17).
  4. Respond to others softly and gently (Phil 4:5; Jas 1:19; Col 3:12, 4:6; Lk 6:45; Eccl 10:12; Prov 15:1, 4; 16:24; 25:15).
  5. Remember God's grace and kindness (1 Cor 15:10; Rom 2:4).
  6. Reflect/review my life often.
  7. Reaccess my life often.

No comments:

Post a Comment