Loved by God.

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
* It's good to suffer loss, for it draws me to the Cross where God's loss is more than what anyone ever lost. * We cannot hear what the stories of the Bible are saying until we hear them as stories about ourselves. * Let go of control. * Trust God. Thank God. Think about God. Talk to God. Talk about God.

Saturday, January 2, 2016

How To Seek God First, Jan 2, 2016

I wrote about how I first applied Matthew 6:33 in the 1980's and 90's in my first post of 2016: How To Seek First God;s Kingdom. How might I apply Matthew 6:33 today? These are my random, rambling, ruminating, reflections:
  1. Don't cheat my conscience. Paul says, "So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man" (Ac 24:16, NIV). I cheat my conscience when I do and think of what I should have no business doing and thinking of. Yet like Paul I know that I do not do what I want, but instead do what I do not want to do (Ro 7:15-16). Lord, have mercy.
  2. Guard my heart. Proverbs says, "Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life" (Pro 4:23, NLT). I need to do so because "The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?" (Jer 17:9, NLT)
  3. Delight in the Scriptures (Ac 20:27). The psalmist cried out, "Oh, how I love your instructions! I think about them all day long" (Ps 119:97, NLT). Also, the psalmist said, "Instead, his delight is in the Lord's instruction, and he meditates on it day and night" (Ps 1:2, HCSB).
  4. Check my priorities (Mt 6:33). Is God's name and honor my utmost concern, or is it my own wounded pride and ego that deceptively gets in the way?
  5. Love others (Jn 13:34-35; Lev 19:18). This is always easier said than done! This needs intensive work every single day.
  6. Never get angry and loose my temper. "Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper—it only leads to harm" (Ps 37:8, NLT). This is only possibly by the Spirit.
  7. Seek wisdom from God (Jas 1:5).
  8. Never depart and deviate from grace (Ac 20:24).

A shorter simpler list might be:

  1. Love God. Heart.
  2. Love others. Community.
  3. Love Scripture. Solitude.
  4. Love justice. Communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment