Loved by God.

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
* It's good to suffer loss, for it draws me to the Cross where God's loss is more than what anyone ever lost. * We cannot hear what the stories of the Bible are saying until we hear them as stories about ourselves. * Let go of control. * Trust God. Thank God. Think about God. Talk to God. Talk about God.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Don't you just love the way John Piper writes!

Piperspectacularsin2008
In his book "Spectacular Sins" (2008), Piper warns that personal catastrophes, global cataclysms, and horrific times are coming for Christians (Acts 14:22; John 15:20; Lk 21:16,18; Mt 24:9,12; 1 Thess 3:3; 2 Tim 3:1,12; Rom 8:17,23; 1 Pet 4:12; Rev 1:9,2:10,6:10-11,12:11,13:7,15,17:6). Read this short review or watch Piper's short interview or download the book. (I just finished reading it and it is well worth the time.) He encourages Christians to rejoice in the glory of Christ through the most spectacular (God ordained) sin ever, which is the murder of Christ.

He is sorry that Christians in the West are pampered and coddled with little suffering in the name of Christ, and are mainly seeking to improve their own lives. He repeatedly says that wimpy worldviews and wimpy theology produces wimpy Christianity. Perhaps to spur us on, he writes this in the introduction to the book:

I know that God is tender, and that personal fellowship with him is sweet, and that touching the heart happens through the brokenness of the still, small voice. I know this, and I love it. Jesus Christ is a precious friend to me.

But I also know something else. If, while I am having a tender conversation with my wife, a man breaks in and kills her and all my children and leaves me wounded on the living room floor, I will need a way of seeing the world that involves more than the tenderness of God. If pestilence takes out tens of thousands of my fellows citizens and half my church, my mental and spiritual survival will depend on more than the precious gifts of God's intimacy.

Don't you just love the way he writes to Christians? If you read the book you may think that Piper's graphic description is spot on. It is truly quite glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment