Loved by God.

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
* It's good to suffer loss, for it draws me to the Cross where God's loss is more than what anyone ever lost. * We cannot hear what the stories of the Bible are saying until we hear them as stories about ourselves. * Let go of control. * Trust God. Thank God. Think about God. Talk to God. Talk about God.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Pain Makes You a Philosopher

Thanks so much for all your prayers and support for me as I had surgery to replace both my knees on Aug 10, 2018.

From July 9 to Sep 5, 2018 I was away in Malaysia. My bilateral knee replacement surgery was not planned, but I decided that it was the best option for me.

The constant symptom after surgery was the pain from the surgery, the sutures, the swelling, the stiffness and from the physical therapy daily. My daily activities was markedly curtailed, reading, studying and just sitting at the table was very difficult, and sleep was near impossible every single night, because there was no comfortable position and the pain felt worse than during the day. Thus, I thought about the "problem of pain" that all human beings experience with no exceptions.
Pain: The Problem, the Solution, the Big Picture.
  1. Think about pain.
  2. Is pain any good?
  3. What can you learn about your pain?
What does Mr. Google say? Pain makes you…
  • stronger
  • feel alive
  • beautiful
  • grow
  • human
Some lessons learned:
  • You need a coach/mentor/helper (Prov 27:17).
  • You need to train yourself to improve (1 Tim 4:8).
  • Face your weakness, or you'll remain weak.
  • Misc: victim, discouragement, perseverance, sin.
  • Your attitude determines your altitude of life (Col 3:1-2; Dt 4:29; Jer 29:13).
  • Relativity: if you're with a lovely person hours seem like seconds, but if you're with an unpleasant person seconds feel like hours.
Life Lessons Learned
  1. The Problem--pain. Pain is good (Heb 13:7, 11; Jas 1:2-4; Rom 5:3-5). It exposes/reveals the real me—who I truly am at my core. Don't waste your pain!
  2. The Solution. Meditating, contemplating God's word (Ps 1:2; 119:97) is the immediate/efficacious solution.
  3. The Big Picture. God is my shepherd all my life to this day (Gen 48:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment